So I made a script for SAES..

Silence

@joe said in So I made a script for SAES..:

We can go from calling Nanobob autistic while sharing private messages to saying he treats people like "last gypsy scum on earth without any right to live." without any evidence backing up any claim.

There's no reason for me to lie about it. I don't care, I said it was the only thing that happened between me and him, other than that he was ok. I have no other connection to him at all. I have been in this community for way too long to start making up statements.
The idea was that there was that certain situation i needed help and got trashed instead.
Also, there's no mistake we all know his all so superior attitude towards everyone.

Just tall tales. It's interesting as well that it will all be believed, because people want to believe it.
Not saying any of these things didn't happen or are not true, but there's nothing to suggest they did other than the word of some people without any factual evidence.

I don't have any expectations to any of you believing what I said, it's your choice to trust me or not. I was not butthurt enough to take screenshots and complain to senior HQs about his attitude towards me because it's just a game and his opinions don't matter at all to me.
As i can recall, you're now a staff member. You should consider believing other people on this community, more so if there are plenty of people that say the same thing.
If he didn't do anything, trust me we'd have no interest into making up 'stories' about him, or at least I would not.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up until now I stayed away from replying to this topic since I would only be adding more fuel to the fire, but since @Deu asked for me to make a statement, I will.

So let's start with what kickstarted this topic, Silence's radio script.
Several days ago Silence came to me with his suggestion for a new radio script that would replace the current one. Which would allow for you to also listen to the regular GTA SA radio stations. So the procedure started as it normally would where I start reviewing code, and once that is done the rest of the HQ team would review the concept itself.
Over the course of a week I had given him feedback several times. Some points were relatively minor, some were more major 'issues' with the script. But these were all issues that needed to be resolved before the code would be accepted for the live server.

This happened several time, where I gave feedback, explained what some of that feedback meant, and then awaited a new reply. Now by the time I brought up the boolean inversion Silence speaks of during his first post, some of the original pieces of feedback still were not resolved. (this is several days after the first 'round' of feedback) So at that point to have Silence say "I just did x to piss you off", that did indeed piss me off. And meant I wasn't going to spend any time reviewing that same piece of code.
After that I told Silence if he did want to continue to come back later with a new script of higher quality.

To me, that wasn't anything special, the code for his current script wasn't sufficient to be allowed on the server so I informed he it would be better to spend his time on a different feature. Up until I saw this topic I had no idea on how much offense Silence had apparently taken.

Why did I share this here anyway? I don't know, guess to just tell my side of the story.

Some of you might wonder why? Why are there these code standards for SAES?
It's no secret that SAES' code base is flawed, parts of it even are utter shit. But that's to be expected when there's "legacy code" (Code that is really old, which is the case with SAES). So we've been trying to fix some of these issues, and make sure any new code that's pushed to the server is of more quality than some of the stuff that's already there.
The reason this is important is because when code is properly structured, it makes it significantly easier to work on it as another developer. Which we do have to do since SAES is not a one man project.

Now to touch on some other people's comments on this thread
Firstly, everyone is entitled to their opinion (Which is also why this topic is not locked) and I must respect that, even if I would disagree with your opinion.

@BlaZZey If the script's code quality is improved to the point where it is sufficient, then the chances are that it would be uploaded to the server, but that's up to all of HQ to decide, not me.

Now it's also no secret that TheKiller and I have run into some issues in a similar situation, where I denied some of the code he suggested because it did not meet the standards. However as you can probably see in this topic, TheKiller does take it very personal, attempting to offend me by calling me an autist (Just for everyone's information, I'm not. No idea why TheKiller does think so, but I can imagine it being offensive to people who actually do have autism)
And I don't think the disagreements TheKiller and I have are going to be solved, we simply don't get along together. And to TheKiller that means he can not work with me.

Now it's also brought up by other people that my main priorities are not SAES, but KATLA.
Simply put, this is true. At first the idea for KATLA was that it would be SAES' new version, and be released for the clan. However due to a disagreement between Desolator & myself, and the majority of the current SAES HQ team Desolator and I have decided to take KATLA our own way.
This does not mean however that I do not care about SAES anymore, I still care to review code, to make sure that the code base remains maintainable for future developers. And to every now and then help fix bugs, resolve issues or create new things.

Now to @Lamza, I do not recall the run in you had with me two years ago, but if it is as you describe it that is not how I should have acted, and I'd like to apologize.

And to @Deu , yes. Desolator and I have been working on KATLA for close to two years now, and it's still not done! It's almost as if we don't work on it full time.
Sarcasm aside, Both Desolator and I have other things going on in life (our studies, work, other projects, etc). So yes it's taken a long time, and it will probably take quite some more time.

And no, I'm not "restricting" people from working on 1.4 because I am too busy with something else. I'm simply reviewing their code to make SAES 1.4 easier to work on for our current (and potential) future developers.

And yes, there have been many great suggestions that haven't been implemented, if we (the dev team) had the time to implement every good suggestion that's made, live our life, and work on our own things. Then we would, but we can only spend our time once, so we all spend it on what we would like to do the most. To us scripting for SAES is a hobby, not a job. So you can't expect of us to work tirelessly on it.

So that's it for now, if I've missed your post, feel free to quote me here, or come talk to me on discord.

@nanobob said in So I made a script for SAES..:

Now to @Lamza, I do not recall the run in you had with me two years ago, but if it is as you describe it that is not how I should have acted, and I'd like to apologize.

Forever forgiven!
Seems like you have matured enough, you reply was really constructive and I got your points. I'd love to think you were as rational and mature before too, maybe after all you were just in a bad mood.

@dova said in So I made a script for SAES..:

If I was an HQ I would make an official poll about this so players and other staff/admins can decide what they want about this situation! We have here many complains, people who say hes a good guy, people who says that he is a bad one. So lets make an official poll what players and others want, demoting him in HQ or staying in HQ.
I think thats best, reasonable and mature way to decide on that, we need to respect democracy!
Note: only stating my opinon on this situation what I would done if I were in charge( I'm not in charge so you can ignore it if you want), not on situation who is good guy who is bad guy so dont be angry on me!!! You need to promote love not hate mans!
here is a cute cat with a bread arround his head
alt text

Just to make this clear to anyone here, this is a server ran by a clan not a server run by a community, it has always been and always will be a dictatorship (by design).

Your opinions matter on what you would like to see on the server to play with and complaints are taken in and considered in our actions, but you do not run the clan in anyway shape or form and do not get to decide on clan matters.

@starwars said in So I made a script for SAES..:

There you go, it wasn't kain but there goes the bullshitty message that I've mentioned, this topic is pointless as all the other ones created before.

I'm not sure what you think this is. This isn't a high paying executive job where people are being paid a lot of money and need to produce results.

The server is free to play on, on a free game (MTA) and people work on it for free.

You're FREE to work on it yourself, work towards a common goal and actually contribute rather than complain.

This entire topic has been off base and aimed at people who actually work on the server, to a varying degree. If you want to remove everyone who works on the server because they don't do it enough, newsflash, nobody will be left.

There's a sense of entitlement here - I can't quite put my finger on where it's sourced but it's definitely misplaced.

Also the idea that the community should decide who is and is not a SAES HQ by a fucking poll is just so ridiculous I can't even begin to touch on why. I can't believe it was suggested and I seriously can't believe anyone agreed with it unironically.

There you go, it wasn't kain but there goes the bullshitty message that I've mentioned, this topic is pointless as all the other ones created before.

I can't understand your point. The two first paragraphs are for everyone and I'm sure you can give your opinion about them if you have any.

The third and last paragraph (which I think was the one you felt 'threatened' by) is directly to TheK, so neither of us have anything to do with it. Of course, you can say something like "that shouldn't be said in public and/or in that way" or even said at all since I don't believe that stating your believes / thoughts should be grounds for a kick (when you are within the bounds), even tho there are stories that say otherwise.

On another note, I wouldn't call this a "useless topic". If you can read between the lines you can learn a lot about the people that participated in this, let's call it, "debate".

And @Visionaries. "(...) always will be a dictatorship (by design)" - I can't agree on that since 'you' have multiple people with a SAES HQ and Senior HQ tag. I like to believe that you guys (in private) work together and listen to and respect each other's opinions. Maybe I'm being too naive. But if that's not the case, let's call every organization, company and government a dictatorship because where I stand a full-on dictatorship is having ONE guy calling the shots, every shot. Many people might call that guy Nano but I, somehow, don't believe that.

@kipt said in So I made a script for SAES..:

There you go, it wasn't kain but there goes the bullshitty message that I've mentioned, this topic is pointless as all th

sic

When he says dictatorship he means in terms of how elections work. Nobody is elected SAES HQ by the populace as would happen in a democracy. He doesn't mean that only one person makes all the decisions.

It's a dictatorship without a dictator. A democracy wouldn't work on SAES or any community like this. A random Tunisians vote with 10 hours would count the same as anyone elses.

@joe said in So I made a script for SAES..:

There you go, it wasn't kain but there goes the bullshitty message that I've mentioned, this topic is pointless as all th

sic

When he says dictatorship he means in terms of how elections work. Nobody is elected SAES HQ by the populace as would happen in a democracy. He doesn't mean that only one person makes all the decisions.

It's a dictatorship without a dictator. A democracy wouldn't work on SAES or any community like this. A random Tunisians vote with 10 hours would count the same as anyone elses.

Yhaaaa, you got a point there ...... you noob.

Also: "(...) actually contribute rather than complain" - Sometimes complaining is contributing aka "constructive feedback".

The third and last paragraph (which I think was the one you felt 'threatened' by) is directly to TheK, so neither of us have anything to do with it. Of course, you can say something like "that shouldn't be said in public and/or in that way" or even said at all since I don't believe that stating your believes / thoughts should be grounds for a kick (when you are within the bounds), even tho there are stories that say otherwise.

Yes you were right that shouldn't of been said in public and was born out of frustration regarding the topic of this thread and wasn't about punishing for just sharing your opinion, I have since talked to Thek and that issue has been resolved, so i have removed it.

I also think that NanoBob should leave, he is not, without doubt, competent enough to give guides on coding standards and tips for improving your code. /s

On a more serious note, how hard is it to follow tips on improving your code? It's not only for the better of your code, but for the better of your coding practices. Your only step of quality assurance seems to be "A) Does it work -- > Ready for use". Yes it does work, yes it does not error. How does it perform, how does it look - the latter is less important for the machine, but more important for person reading your code in the future and trying to understand it. I would understand if you got corrected by one person, but seems like 2 devs had to give feedback on improving the code which just proves the point. Bite it, nobody's perfect, use the information to improve yourself and become better.

Nobody knows everything - you learn, you interact, you research. Be GLAD that we have someone to give you free feedback, to be there to check your stuff, to guide you in the right direction.
I'm in no way trying to defend Nanobob, we're all cunts sometimes (or all the time), starting from Magnus, but that does not negate your abilities and skills.

SAES' codebase was improved greatly over the time, it's not perfect, it will never be perfect, but it is a lot more stable and performing, something you guys don't see or acknowledge. It sucks sometimes to turn down someone's effort, but if it's just not up to par with some really mild standards, then sorry, improve it, improve yourself.

To become a decent coder, it takes time & practice. By the time you become one, you're already busy with college, work or family, which is another reason why some devs go into shadow/stagnant. You have to understand that developing for this server is fueled by love, expect nothing in return, give back to the community you enjoy(ed) being part of & which provided you with great memories and even friends, cheesy but it's true.

tl;dr stiffen up your upper lip, start using the feedback as a way to improve yourself

@magnus said in So I made a script for SAES..:

You're all cunts.

You saying this is no problem but someone else making such comment would mean everyone jumping on him.

Oh yeah but who cares?

It's hilarious how we all know and hide the fact almost everyone's goal on this community seems to be limited to just achieving staff/admin. Even this topic is indirectly intended to promote Silence, as Terry said.

I don't care whether this is a dictatorship or whatever pathetic definition people wanna call a MTA community server but let's realize the pure notion of this topic is not making the server dev better but just creating a shitty controversy between people because they aren't mature enough to sit and arrange a way to keep everything balanced and happy to all. Everything in this topic was pointed to slander a person but no one actually said ''Oh yeah Silence, I know how to improve your code''

Not only cunts, you missed "egocentric" and with cunts underlined.

This topic sums up the current generation of people on the internet.

I still struggle to find out why people are offended by words or criticism, especially over the internet.

I love how all the keyboard warriors have come out to play and all the snidey PM's to each other, no full conversations and blanked out 'names'. Throwing your toys out the pram over something so stupid.

End of the day, we provide you somewhere to play (done during our free time) and no one forces you to play here or make you pay a subscription, if you dont like it, leave.