So I made a script for SAES..

Silence

Hi community, and clan. I'm Silence, and I study computer science.
My knowledge of programming is of decent level. I love to program, and would like to use some of my free time to program for SAES, because I love the server. I want to talk about a current problem on SAES, that disgusts me.

Long time ago I made a suggestion to our radio system. Link can be found here in:
https://archive.saesrpg.uk/community/topic/101476-removal-of-mouse-scroll-custom-radios/

tldr: 'Its not possible to hear default GTA:SA radios in car, only custom radio streams. I suggested to make a script to hear default ones, and custom stream radios'.

I got a lot of positive feedback from scripters telling me that it is a nice idea, even Blade talking about working on it. However not much came out of it, so I talked with Blade and Nanobob and got permission to start working on it myself.

I was in constant conversation with NanoBob (Leading the dev team), and after some time I finished the script and made him review it. There was some things which could be changed, sure I agreed, and changes were made. Script was finalized, bug-free and ready to be put onto the server.

Preview of the script:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3DubpObFWA

(If you don't understand a little bit of programming this won't make much sense)
Me and NanoBob got into a bit of a beef about how the script should be made.

Turned into regular English, in essence, it was a beef about something like this:
A boolean variable consists of 2 states - true / false.
'something = true'
'something = false'
'not something = true -> same as saying: something = false'

Both does the exact same, but that didn't fit NanoBob. I made a joke and said the reason I made it like that was to annoy him. NanoBob then said that I just lost my last chance to have him review the code (No way of getting it in now, because he says so)

Right now NanoBob is gatekeeping the script because of this. If it does not fit the exact way he would do it, it won't get approved. Reminds of a certain someone during world war 2.

Does the exact same.

Anyway lets move on. After that NanoBob went on to point out how useless my script is, and that there's no point in getting it in. NanoBob thinks that if something is not game breaking news, theres no point in adding in.

I took time out of my free time to program a suggestion that was accepted. And it was not approved, by NanoBob.

Let's move on to the actual topic that I would like to discuss.

NanoBob is currently working on a seperate server called KATLA. I am sure many of you are aware of this. It's not a part of SAES clan any longer, so it's a completely different server.

NanoBob is leading the development team. He is the gatekeeper. If something is not approved by NanoBob, it will NOT enter SAES. He said this himself.

So a person that is not really working for SAES, but his own seperate server - is the same person that is leading the development team on SAES. He has the final voice. That is dictatorship.
Several scripters should give their input, and together decide to approve it or not.

Currently we have a new feature 2 times a year. I have the capability and potential to push in a new feature pretty much every 2 weeks. But I am not allowed to.

Starting to get a sense of why SAES is lacking new features and is very dry lately?
It is not because of lack of scripters.

• I would like to discuss the removal of NanoBob as the head of the development team, and suggest another person to be appointed. NanoBob is not even 20 years of age yet, and gets to choose what gets in or not. It should be a neutral decision, and not subjective. Blade is an excellent scripter. He could be a candidate instead, just an example.

• I would like to suggest that several scripters should together decide if a script should be approved or not. If you have a beef with NanoBob, you are not getting your script in. It depends on how NanoBob is feeling that day. NanoBob is immature, and abusing a very powerful role.

In fact. I would like to release my script out to the open for anyone to look at it, any scripter. And tell my why this is not acceptable.
Link: https://pastebin.com/VXzvXsNf

I feel dissapointed. This is making me lose hope for the future of SAES.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, it's good to see people taking from their time to make things for the server they spent years playing on and working on, it's clear that SAES is no more the old as years before (i wasn't present but what people said) like today is the futur andd the past was something different more glorious that we can't see it back. But what makes a sentence meaningful is the simple ponctuation so maybe trying to accept it is good which i concidere the only mistake nanobob came to in this discussion.
the other part is about dictatorship of nanobob, actully i don't call it like that you could just follow what he said as he has the right to do it, maybe he is an arrogant person who wants things like he wants but who gives a fuck if you really wanted this in you would just follow what he said and script those syntax non errors. you need sometimes to keep silence and finish until the end with what those who has power suggest if it's not really wrong in their style but arguing will definitly end it.
just work as you said because you enjoy it and ignore when it's ignored silence will help just saying.
as your name is @Silence :laughing:

Well, I somehow don't see that helpful by any way. Not directly against the idea, but like, was it just me or I never actually listened to the radio when I was playing SA back then? I was always turning it off, because the songs were total bullshit and the other radio stations that weren't musing... Didn't like them also.
As Filex said, it's very nice to see people actually trying their best to improve the Server, but this seems a bit useless, I don't want to be rude. Even more, it would be interesting the first like, 1-2 days, then, whenver you've listened to every single radio station, every single song, it will get boring. That's like listenting to the daily news everyday, isn't it? I don't see how it would be interesting for someone to listen that over and over again, as he already listened to it when he has played SAES back then, unlike me, as I stated, I never listened to the radio while playing SA, or even SAES.

@cappo said in So I made a script for SAES..:

:::

Well, I somehow don't see that helpful by any way. Not directly against the idea, but like, was it just me or I never actually listened to the radio when I was playing SA back then? I was always turning it off, because the songs were total bullshit and the other radio stations that weren't musing... Didn't like them also.

As Filex said, it's very nice to see people actually trying their best to improve the Server, but this seems a bit useless, I don't want to be rude. Even more, it would be interesting the first like, 1-2 days, then, whenver you've listened to every single radio station, every single song, it will get boring. That's like listenting to the daily news everyday, isn't it? I don't see how it would be interesting for someone to listen that over and over again, as he already listened to it when he has played SAES back then, unlike me, as I stated, I never listened to the radio while playing SA, or even SAES.

wut tha m8 , K-Rose , Playback FM, K-DST , these are some the best radios of these decade , how could you not like them :(((

@barry-allen said in So I made a script for SAES..:

@cappo said in So I made a script for SAES..:

wut tha m8 , K-Rose , Playback FM, K-DST , these are some the best radios of these decade , how could you not like them :(((

better than kenny kids radio lmao :laughing:

We have a certain structure within the Development Team. Nanobob being our "leader" as you'd like to call it. I'd like to call it a supervisor. He's the supervisor for a reason and is good at what he does. There is no need to slag him off.

On-topic considering your Script.
There were a handful of mistakes made in your script. (I've not seen the most recent code). I had given you tips and shown you a better way of doing what you wanted to achieve. Yet it felt like you didn't accept my tips at all. Ofcourse I had put this up for conversation within our private chat. We have lifes and cannot be here 24/7. We do what we can and you should be accepting that.

As for the suggestion; We liked the idea, as currently the vanilla radios are unavailable to be listened.

@blade said in So I made a script for SAES..:

We have a certain structure within the Development Team. He's the supervisor for a reason and is good at what he does.

There were a handful of mistakes made in your script. (I've not seen the most recent code).

To answer the first quote. He apparently was not elected, and therefor is not the leader for a reason. Conversation with Ikzelf

'You guys elected him didn't you?'
.'Naah he just kinda came.. because KATLA'

Ikzelf who's an excellent scripter is refraining from making scripts for SAES, because of this individual. Why are you even defending him Blade?

To answer the second. You should view the latest, because it is VERY different from the one you saw, I completely remade it again.
NanoBob was done correcting it, and because it was close to done, he had to find something else and began going ape-shit over an if statement which in his way, would do the exact same.

Right now the situation is, even if I wanted to make a completely new one, he is not going to review it. It's over. It has to be approved by him, since he has the final voice.
He single handely decided that Silence is now blacklisted of making a script for SAES.
Coming from someone that is working on a different server, backstabbing SAES.

I ain't no wise man on this matter, but I do have to agree with Nano on this. All he wants is a good looking and clean code because if any problem / bug comes up, they can just look at it and find the problem really quick and not waste time trying to guess 'if not this then that', ' if not not this then that', 'if this then not that', all that for the 'x == myass'.
And I have to say, if I was in his place, I would probably do the same. Adding a bunch of scripts, written by a bunch of different people, without the minimal review, that sure would have an amazing outcome.

Now, if mom (nano) doesn't let you play just go ask dad (other HQ). Because if you think your script is good enough and all it's blocking you is Nano, try to talk with another HQ and Dev member. And if both of those people agree and like your script, I'm pretty sure they'll find a way to get it live, because if the script is good and the only reason is Nano having a beef with you, fuck Nano.

Now, egos in SAES are amazing, on both sides. Big, strong egos. Saying that to tell you that I believe you were wrong on not accepting his tips / suggestions, even more for a "silly" thing (your own word).

The way i see it is that there was no use of this post , its just a disagreement between 2 people and shouldn't be seen as anything different, Silence you wanted ur script to be introduced in saes so u could have just used not true instead of false or whatever that is.
you argued about the small thing with nanobob and he is the lead dev of SAES and is deving Katla which not to mention did start as a part of Saes and nanobob kept posting updates of it for so long and now that its separate from Saes due to disagreements so just cuz it isnt a part of saes anymore you say nano is backstabbing , isnt he entiled to finished what he started? Why do u have to be butthurt and say that hes backstabbing just cuz his complete and utter focus is not SAES ? If only u complied with it then all this could be avoided and this is between 2 people only so this was just bitchy to post this and try to find support and overthrow Nanobob.
Challenging Authority is ok but not if you are making topics with "hes not even 20" and speaking like a butthurt kid using words like "backstabber" and just making more drama in general. you were annoying to nanobob so he just stopped caring which tends to happen to everyone if you keep nagging and wasting their time ,
Silence the thing u did with nanobob go try it with ur boss at work or anyone above it and same shit will happen thats how things work , people reach a certain level by working for it and someone just comes without proving shit starts to disagree and annoy then ofc they wont be happy. I know most people from SAES would act same like nanobob did in the situation and you could have just taken time and talked to him about this instead of trying to overthrow him.

Currently we have a new feature 2 times a year. I have the capability and potential to push in a new feature pretty much every 2 weeks. But I am not allowed to.

So, where are all these crazy good new ideas and features? Who stops you from posting these ideas/scripts youd have 2 times a week? Oh wait you just made 1 script which does not even affect gameplay greatly, innit. Please enlighten us with the new features that will help this server be a better place, go on, I will carefully read.

@silence said in So I made a script for SAES..:

Hi community, and clan. I'm Silence, and I study computer science.
My knowledge of programming is of decent level. I love to program, and would like to use some of my free time to program for SAES, because I love the server.

Yeah, just looking at the title and first paragraph, I see where this goes.

Please come back claiming yourself these things when you've actually done something, not just a radio script, prove your words.

We're waiting to see all your awesome ideas that will change SAES.

Come on lad, you can do it. :)

My knowledge of programming is of decent level.

There were a handful of mistakes made in your script. I had given you tips and shown you a better way of doing what you wanted to achieve.

So your knowledge of programming is not of so called 'decent' level so quit bragging about how perfect you think you are because you are not.

Me and NanoBob got into a bit of a beef about how the script should be made.

alt text

To be honest it looks like from outside that you couldn't take it when Nanobob certainly pointed out your mistake in the code and instead of admitting you were wrong, you chose to say 'it was a joke just to piss Nanobob off.'
alt text
'Just to piss you off' I doubt even if thats the case but even if we assume it's true, that's very nice of you! I think not.

Right now NanoBob is gatekeeping the script because of this. If it does not fit the exact way he would do it, it won't get approved.

Nope. That's why NanoBob is gatekeeping the script you attempted to create.
alt text

**NanoBob then said that I just lost my last chance to have him review the code (No way of getting it in now, because he says so)

What part of this you don't understand ?
alt text

Anyway lets move on. After that NanoBob went on to point out how useless my script is, and that there's no point in getting it in.

And he's right about it. Wow, you made a script so we could listen to original GTA:SA songs ingame, like they are very hard to find. cough a few clicks in youtube cough

If you want to make a difference with your 'super knowledge' and 'brillant skills' of scripting, I suggest you to go contact @Tilong. He had a great idea of new type of a heist and he started mapping the building for it but he had to stop at a point because he couldn't find a scripter that would help him with creating and completing the script. Go, script that instead of this radio bullshit can ya ? Then if your script is good enough, you can blame Nanobob if he doesn't approve it. Feel free to prove him wrong.

Let's move on to the actual topic that I would like to discuss.
NanoBob is currently working on a seperate server called KATLA. I am sure many of you are aware of this. It's not a part of SAES clan any longer, so it's a completely different server. So a person that is not really working for SAES, but his own seperate server - is the same person that is leading the development team on SAES. He has the final voice. That is dictatorship.

I would like to discuss the removal of NanoBob as the head of the development team, and suggest another person to be appointed. NanoBob is not even 20 years of age yet, and gets to choose what gets in or not. It should be a neutral decision, and not subjective. Blade is an excellent scripter. He could be a candidate instead, just an example.

Wow, you thought about this all by yourself and SAES HQ couldn't think of it before you had to point it out ? Damn man you are good. They should invite you in the SAES clan and give you HQ instantly.

It seems that your point in creating this topic isn't even trying to push your radio script to be put in the server, it's trying to humiliate Nanobob and promote yourself but you failed hard, please quit being an attention whore.

I think everyone should go back to do what they are good at. In that case, you Silence, are good at making ban appeals! https://archive.saesrpg.uk/community/topic/72670-ban-appeal-prince808-banned-by-saesmagnusclosed/

We have a certain structure within the Development Team. He's the supervisor for a reason and is good at what he does.

There were a handful of mistakes made in your script. (I've not seen the most recent code).

To answer the first quote. He apparently was not elected, and therefor is not the leader for a reason. Conversation with Ikzelf

'You guys elected him didn't you?'
.'Naah he just kinda came.. because KATLA'

Ikzelf who's an excellent scripter is refraining from making scripts for SAES, because of this individual. Why are you even defending him Blade?

To answer the second. You should view the latest, because it is VERY different from the one you saw, I completely remade it again.
NanoBob was done correcting it, and because it was close to done, he had to find something else and began going ape-shit over an if statement which in his way, would do the exact same.

Right now the situation is, even if I wanted to make a completely new one, he is not going to review it. It's over. It has to be approved by him, since he has the final voice.
He single handely decided that Silence is now blacklisted of making a script for SAES.
Coming from someone that is working on a different server, backstabbing SAES.

@Ikzelf did he inform u before posting a screen of your conversation
if not he is an idiot
and i mean it

Christ. I take a short break and people already try and cause a shitfest. So before I start, I'm just gonna copy the dev rules that we have in our dev channel before you carry on what looks to be a personal attack against NanoBob.

Development Guidelines for ALL Devs:

• All Major Game Changing features must be reviewed by SAES HQ before uploading (Highlight @SAES HQ for any questions)

• All Large New Additions must be checked for vulnerabilities by NanoBob first and important amendments must be performed (Discussions will take place in this channel)

• Minor fixes are free to be uploaded

These rules show what we have in place for the devs. As you can see, the first guideline states that the entire HQ team is responsible for deciding which conceptual things get added to the server and not specifically NanoBob so in no way can he decline anything based on its conceptual details.
The second guideline is the most important. Within the dev team, we operate a quality assurance system which ensures all large additions are reviewed by NanoBob for vulnerabilities or amendments. It's no secret that a large number of legacy scripts on the server are traysh and poorly written and as a result this doesn't mean we're willing to continue this trend. All large additions at this stage must abide to a moderate quality to avoid events such as large lag spikes or anything else that can be caused by a minor detail within a script that might've gone unnoticed by someone with less knowledge of our server resources.
And the last guideline applies to qualified devs only that they are free to upload minor fixes at anytime.

As we say in every one of these threads, if you have any issues with a HQ member you are more than welcome to contact any of the senior HQ staff which are Brophy/Tombaa primarily but instead you decided to ranty attention seeking approach to things.

Although one thing I did notice that you stated was "got permission to start working on it myself". Just to clarify to everyone in the community, you don't need permission to work on anything. Anyone is free to make anything and have it checked by NanoBob or have it preliminary checked by a dev first if you're too scared of NanoBob. If you are deemed to have a decent knowledge then we have a special channel on discord for wannabe devs. Just like Geri/Leon. Although anyone MUST be able to take constructive criticism. We certainly won't accept people that throw their toys out the pram if they're requested to make a few minor adjustments.

Thanks

Thanks for your input Kain, really useful stuff as always. I'm happy to hear that it doesn't have to go through Bob at the very end, and that there are other ways to get a script in. However contacting Brophy or Tombaa won't help.

I have two questions before we can lock this topic.

I am fully alright with taking constructive criticism. However it wasn't a minor adjustment he was asking for. Don't twist the topic.

In my mind, and many others, functionality always comes first and over visually good looking code.
A script has to be able to do what its made for. It has to be bug-free, crashproof, fast and well performing - Which mine furfills. What is the issue then?

Indentation is all nice to have, it helps to read and quickly dive into scopes, but thats where it stops. If its readable and you're able to get around the code, you stop there.

Once someones understanding of 'criticism' turns into telling me that 3 + 1 = 4 is the only right way and that 2 + 2 = 4 is wrong - I start to question their actual moral intention.
That is not criticism Kain, and I hope you understand that. Then after I said, what I thought to be funny, was for him a knife to the throat, the individual told me that I lost my last chance. At that point, I thought thats it, the kid just blacklisted me from developing scripts for SAES.

I know I am not alone in this. Some has given up. My way of doing the 'if' statement was not wrong, and Bob is fully aware of that too.

If you are to continue with coding Bob and one day exit your room and work out there in the real world, you are gonna have some serious problems if you don't start to accept these things. Take that as advice, from someone older and more experienced than you.

Now to the questions.

1. Which other developers am I able to contact for final approval? I can't find any information. And are they able to push it onto the server, if approved again?

2. Where would you categorize this script? It is not a major game changing feature, neither is it a new large addon. It is a update to a current system that people were unsatisfied with.

Minor fixes seem to be the right place, so how about I clean my script up a bit one last time and post the final version to be pushed online?

Thanks

At that point, I thought thats it, the kid just blacklisted me from developing scripts for SAES.

I'm here to ask again, which scripts?

We've only seen a radio script and you seem to be talking like you had the most badass ideas for the server lol.

I think you're being the kid here, but I don't like flaming or shits so I'll just say it clear one more last time:

Come back when you've got something that we all see worthy, because as you can see we all agree that your resource/idea isn't a big implementation, even you agreed. So yeah I wanna see all your crazy dev work, cum back with it.