[SUGGESTION] Disable tracking of Squad Members by OG/Criminals

Angel.

Disable or No.  

41 members have voted

1. 1. .

This poll is closed to new votes

Question

I've opened this suggestion to state out Official Gangs/Criminals should not have the advantage or the ability of knowing where squad members are located by pressing F2 or /loc. Overall it doesn't make any sense for a Gang Member, let alone a criminal, locate a Squad Member. A criminal wouldn't know when or how a cop could make a move on them like an operation or such in real life. Cops being able to be tracked this easily makes the idea of secrecy and operations devoid of logic.  

Edited by Angel.
  • Like 1

14 answers to this question

If you wish to proceed with such a suggetion, might as well add armor while you're at it. I mean what cop irl goes to a very risky operation without wearing armor? Sounds pretty stupid to me don't you think.

Edited by Faysal
  • Like 4

Agreed, it's a misuse of the /loc function. Criminal spawns were never meant to be able to see where the cops are, especially not by using macros to locate all the cops at the same time.

Locating has become so widespread over the years that it has virtually eliminated any aspect of stealth and ambushing, the preservation of which is specifically why teams were not made visible to one another on the map by default.

• Like 8

I've opened this suggestion to state out Official Squads/Cops should not have the advantage or the ability of knowing where gang members are located by pressing K or /loc. Overall it doesn't make any sense for a Squad Member, let alone a cop, locate a gang Member. A cop wouldn't know when or how a criminal could make a move on them like an operation or such in real life. Criminals being able to be tracked this easily makes the idea of secrecy and operations devoid of logic.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Linkan said:

In my point, then it should be removed for both sides. Its not normal for a police officer to locate a criminal with the K panel either. If we are gonna go by logic we should remove the function entirerly for everyone

Looking at this from "but in real life" perspective is hopeless, besides drawing inspiration from some aspects of real life SAES is miles away from it in all ways, I don't see why this one example would be different. It should instead be viewed from the perspective of gameplay balance, cops are getting their asses handed over to them in all activities with the exception of SRs and random individual encounters on patrols, they manage to do well in those situations by being able to locate and surprise wanted players in order to get close to them and land an arrest with melee nightstick attacks.

Criminal spawns having an ability to locate cops makes these encounters yet another activity that is a pain in the ass, meanwhile removing the K panel from cops would mean less interactions between players in general which can not be considered a good thing in any case. Cops need to locate and attempt to arrest criminals, that is their only purpose. Criminals do not need to be able to locate cops, macroing "/loc all cop names" was never an intended part of the gameplay and that's an undisputable fact. It almost entirely eliminated the stealth aspect of cop gameplay which was always important and present.

Criminals do not need to have an advantage in absolutely every single situation, sometimes they can be at a disadvantage just like cops so often are.

Honestly, the /loc down thing should be just removed and replaced by a voluntary private message option where you can give whoever you're talking to, your location by for example you press a option that says send location to player then you press F11 and you'll see his blip of where he's staying for a specific time.

I'm gonna give you two reasons to replace /loc 1. People are still gonna use it for tactical advantage no matter if you give it a cooldown, remember this is a RPG server you should be locating players by simply using the environment because that's what you're supposed to do, recon places and that's all. 2. /loc ruins the privacy and the operating style of players WHO simply don't want to be found.

Edited by General
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I disagree with the suggestion. /loc gives no advantage or disadvantage whatsoever to either side. 'K' panel does give us an advantage, if you really know how to use the map tore your advantage, you can plan how to approach criminals and kill them from far without being easily targeted.

SAES has already implemented their own proximity blip system, and while I think it made the server seem more dead it added a realistic touch, so we're able to use it tore our advantage from all sides. Also, not everything has to be based on logic or realism, keep in mind it is still a virtual game.

• Like 4

I’d dearly appreciate if the unaware cops who are voting no on this matter explain themselves with a valid reason as to why they’re against the idea. As for the specific gangs, there isn’t a need for one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Angel. said:

I’d dearly appreciate if the unaware cops who are voting no on this matter explain themselves with a valid reason as to why they’re against the idea. As for the specific gangs, there isn’t a need for one.

For what I've been told they voted no because you are giving an ultimatum between completely removing or not removing, while some people would be more willing to have a middle ground on a cooldown like the discussion from squads discord.

I agree with what drot said both here and on discord, if the purpose of locking is to find your friends this can also be achieved by creating and joining a party. However if the purpose is intended to also have influence in regular gameplay then a cooldown would be a more friendly option. 

In my point, then it should be removed for both sides. Its not normal for a police officer to locate a criminal with the K panel either. If we are gonna go by logic we should remove the function entirerly for everyone

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Angel. said:

Unless one of you comes up with an Idea that includes somewhat of a cooldown my statement remains, I dont see an alternative to this however.

It's simple really, if the /loc has even a 5 seconds cooldown - even though one player could be located basically nonstop because the location message would remain in the top bar for longer than 5 seconds - that would prevent people from using /loc on multiple players at once.

Everyone could still find whoever they need to with /loc and criminals could still locate that one cop who is chasing them. But /loc wouldn't be used to locate absolutely every player on cop team at once, at all times. I think that's a fair compromise.

Just remove the loc and add a shit that lets you give your locations voluntarily to specific players you're messaging privately, let the gameplay be natural, no tactical advantages given by a non-RPG feature.

Edited by General
  • Moist 1