[Suggestion]Toll Booths

Weppo

Question

Back in the days the toll booths were something unique to SAES. You stop in front of the barriers. Pay your toll and move along. Or if you are living the dangerous life. You'd ram through them full speed and get an increased wanted level. These locations also gave an unique location for people who actually did like to RP. As more experienced cops liked to "operate" the booths and talk with drivers about passing the boarders.

For as far as I have been informed the toll booths got removed and readded before. This is due to people camping the toll booths as you had to slow down if you wanted to pay your taxes like a good citizen does. Which I agree that LS - LV highway is not the best location for this type of object/event?

1. Toll booths operated by SAI/PC/Other
Therefore I've discussed this to be an oppertunity for the experienced cops. (Those who have earned their PC diploma or became an SAI officer for example good be a good fit.) To have the possibilty to operate the toll booths.

If X (X= SAI/PC/other?) is near toll booth on foot. (Or in an operator booth in a marker.) It will activate the tolls. This means the barriers will close and people would have to stop to pay or speed through, in which the operator can forward the information or chase the target himself.
(each time someone passes the operator gets 5% or something)

This would mean the toll booths are far less likely to be camped by trainees. Which was the main issue before.

2. Automatic tolls
The second option would be to return the toll booths back as they were before. Which might get camped, but bring something to more boring parts of the map, (SF-Bayside bridge for example) and also bring back this classic feature of SAES. I agree that trainees camping here is not nice. And I would probably do it myself some day. But as trainee you can also arrest unsuspecting criminals at LvX if you want even easier arrests. And my guess is that most criminals know how to drive at least decent enough to know how to drive between the pillars of the toll booth. But some people do suprise me to this day.

The second option is ofcourse far easier to imploment. The scripts should still be there. It does not have to be tested. So it's far less likely to be rejected.

1. If you don't like it, then ofcourse I'd like to hear why. I would respect it if the critism would be directed towards finding solutions. Rather then just random bashing other people.

10 answers to this question

Excellent idea, yes, but I have a couple more suggestions. Tolls should have been activated automatically if there was no one operating them at the moment (standing in the marker). If anyone expedited through, the police team would receive a notification about a car passing by the tolls illegally the same way we get a notification of a player leaving his cell. Official squads should also have access to tools and be able to publish them as an activity on their media records. I believe Weppo's suggestion would bring more roleplays to both criminal and the cop side which I haven't seen for quite a while. Fully supporting your proposal.

@jasonbourne '

What do you mean by this? Either you make them automatic or you don't.

There have been 2 versions of the toll booth in the past:

1. which would have to be opened by a toll keeper. But no one spawned nearly enough and it made roads inaccesable. Therefore I made the suggestion of giving certain groups the ability. And have them opened by default, therefore making them only work when someone is near.

2. which was fully automatic. which is self-explaining. you stop your car near. pay the tolls. and drive. Or go straight through the barrier and get wanted.

I don't think mixing my 2 suggestions is a good idea. Automatic tolls can already be RP-d around if you want to. The 2nd option was made to disencourage campers. Combing the 2 will just make it harder to script and therefore less likely to be implomented.

IMO the whole toll booths were something original and interesting on a cops vs robbers server. Rather then an activity it's just something which makes the map itself more interesting. now you just look at billboards.

bump + idea

If automatic is the way;

Then it could be cool to have crims let the possibility to "hack" the booths with a minigame or something like how the "new/old" jail had with vents. If succesfully hacked it will open the gates for 15 or 30 minutes so crims can pass without having to stop and pay taxes.

Since the hack is started by criminals rather then the server it would have to take a bit more then 10 seconds, so cops can come and try to stop the booths from being hacked.
(2 sides of traffic to hack + 30-60s to hack. Making it 60-120 seconds to fully open the toll booths)

It would make the map change based on criminals activity. It will either slow down traffic by having closed tolls were you have to pay. Or if they have been hacked it will be open so criminals can go around SA faster.

It's something completely different then SR or VIP as it doesn't 'spawn' every 15/20 minutes but rather starts when a criminal wants to start it. Making it something unique on the server to do which involved some pvp.
(if people want it could also be something only criminal groups can hack, although I think all crims would want to be able to do this.)

@Weppo said in [Suggestion]Toll Booths:

@jasonbourne '

1. which would have to be opened by a toll keeper. But no one spawned nearly enough and it made roads inaccesable. Therefore I made the suggestion of giving certain groups the ability. And have them opened by default, therefore making them only work when someone is near.

2. which was fully automatic. which is self-explaining. you stop your car near. pay the tolls. and drive. Or go straight through the barrier and get wanted.

I don't think mixing my 2 suggestions is a good idea. Automatic tolls can already be RP-d around if you want to. The 2nd option was made to disencourage campers. Combing the 2 will just make it harder to script and therefore less likely to be implomented.

IMO the whole toll booths were something original and interesting on a cops vs robbers server. Rather then an activity it's just something which makes the map itself more interesting. now you just look at billboards.

If the only reason not to have both functionalities built into it is because it's "harder" to script then I see no reason to not have them both as it would be very easy to make it do both, script wise that is.

Although if you say that the server has had both types of tolls in the past why were they removed? And if they were removed for a legitimate reason why would reintroducing them be any different than before.

@Hex said in [Suggestion]Toll Booths:

@Weppo said in [Suggestion]Toll Booths:

@jasonbourne '

If the only reason not to have both functionalities built into it is because it's "harder" to script then I see no reason to not have them both as it would be very easy to make it do both, script wise that is.

Although if you say that the server has had both types of tolls in the past why were they removed? And if they were removed for a legitimate reason why would reintroducing them be any different than before.

toll boots history version 1
For what I can understand is that there has been a version of the toll booths were it would only open if there was a toll operator spawned. Which was hated for obvious reasons that you couldn't get anywere anymore.

toll booth history version 2
And there also was a version were it worked automatically. Which got camped by trainees or something. Which is why I suggested that this could happen again as some people tend to be into that unfortunatly.

To mediate it on the 2nd suggestion I later suggested that criminals could hack the toll booths to let them open for an X period of time so they don't have to stop to pay taxes. Which also gives new criminals an opportunity to learn how to crack better/faster.