Do something with hitreg / fix bullet sync

Teller

It obviously doesn't work.

Thing was implemented in 2013 and apparently abandoned after that.

This is literally shitshow when you shoot an entire spaz magazine at someone and no damage gets delivered.

You're developer, fix the problem.

SAES is a hobby project initiated by people in their free time, and also maintained by said people in their free time. Show some gratitude for their work. They are doing ALL this outside school hours, study hours and work hours completely free of charge. They do it because they enjoy it, and to keep the server running.

"You're developer, fix the problem."

Do you think the above sentence gives them:

a) Motivation to work on their hobby project?
b) Time to work on their hobby project?

Show some respect and gratitude for what they have done and are currently doing.

@Howlze I see another version of jojo's asslicking right here but in a professional way... The hell are u talking about blablabla developers are doing it because they enjoy it the guy just told you its been like 7 years now since they updated the bullet sync and everyone is literally crying about fixes yet we get ignored ( or more like " I'm looking into this " and fuck my ass if he does something about it or even fix it ) Let's talk about the crouching bug, its been like 6 months now? more? I don't know to be honest with you every time we start talking about the bug u get some bullshit response, Imagine people are getting punished just because ur lovely developers couldn't fix the bug. ( 6 months now they couldn't have a free time I guess to fix it yeah sure brother)

We dont use a custom bullet sync system, we literally enabled bullet sync within mta's server config.

Any issues with it direct to them, not us.

https://wiki.multitheftauto.com/wiki/Server_mtaserver.conf#bullet_sync

As for the other comments, we are aware that our development team went inactive due to RL commitments, hence recruiting scorypo for development and looking into adding more in the future.

End of the day, the server isnt a business model, we do not provide a paid service, its a hobby that turned into a community, you play on a server that we provide and develop for free in our spare time.

You can play the victim all you want but quiet frankly, no one forces you to play here and put up with the issues you seem to be so frustrated with.

Crouching bug

@XpookS said in Do something with hitreg / fix bullet sync:

Let's talk about the crouching bug, its been like 6 months now? more? I don't know to be honest with you every time we start talking about the bug u get some bullshit response, Imagine people are getting punished just because ur lovely developers couldn't fix the bug. ( 6 months now they couldn't have a free time I guess to fix it yeah sure brother)

Okay, let's do that. Let's talk about the crouch bug.

For those unaware, what seems to be the case with the "crouch bug" is that a player is crouching, but on the screen of others appears to not be crouching. (or to be weirdly "jumping" back and forth between crouching and standing.)

Now this means somehow the players crouching state seems to be improperly synchronized between multiple players. However player synchronization is something that is done by MTA, not by SAES.

Luckily MTA is (partially) open source, so I have done much digging into how exactly MTA's synchronization works, what kind of network packets they send, when they send them, and how it should affect crouching. Turns out that every so called "pure sync" network packet sends a player's "ducked" state. Which is then to applied to the player in question.

To me, nothing seemed wrong in how this works, that could explain the behavior we're seeing in-game.

However, just because I don't know how to fix it doesn't mean it will not get fixed. Like I've said before, it's most likely an issue within MTA itself, not with SAES. And due to the fact that MTA is open source anyone can contribute to MTA to attempt to fix it. This includes a bunch of people who already do, but anyone can.

If you would be interested in that, these are the bits of the code I have been able to identify as responsible for handling player sync, especially their "ducked" state.

tl;dr: I haven't fixed it because I don't know how to. Go learn C++ and fix it yourself, relevant code is linked above.

Bullet sync

Now let's touch on the original reason for this topic too shall we, bullet sync. (relevant source code).

As Brophy explained, bullet sync is an MTA feature, not something SAES created. Bullet sync was created roughly 10 years ago, and updates to it were made roughly 8, 6 and 5 years ago, by people from the MTA team. (relevant git blame).

Bullet sync, in all intents and purposes is a finished MTA feature, there is no reason it should be "updated" especially since it is a relatively simple construct. What bullet sync does, is it transmits the start and end position of every bullet fired from a client (As can be seen in the packet definition).
The reason this performs better is because now a client knows exactly where the shooting client was aiming from and at at the moment they fired. While otherwise this would have to be re-calculated based on player position and synchronized camera position.

tl;dr: Bullet sync is a feature created by MTA, which is "finished", it's not abandoned, it's finished.

Mentality

The last bit I want to touch on is the mentality of people in this topic.

@Teller said in Do something with hitreg / fix bullet sync:

Let's be very clear here. Anyone who works on the server (and anyone who contributes to MTA) does this purely out of passion, as a hobby. None of us get paid for what we do for SAES, it is not a (full-time) occupation. So please, don't start making demands of us, this ungrateful and entitled behavior is exactly the reason why several developers have quit in the past. We spend our free time to try and make the game more fun for other people, least you could do is show some professional courtesy and not be a massive dickhead about it.

@XpookS said in Do something with hitreg / fix bullet sync:

( 6 months now they couldn't have a free time I guess to fix it yeah sure brother)

Sure, I've had free time in the last 6 months, plenty of it. And as is hopefully clear with everything I've stated above, obviously I have looked into the issue. But even if I didn't, I don't have to. You're talking about my free time, you do not get to dictate how I spend that. Whether I spend it working on SAES, playing SAES, working on other projects or doing literally nothing whatsoever is none of your business. And the attitude that you think somehow you do get to dictate how I spend my time just shows how fucking entitled you are.

Stop being butthurt.

I've addressed a problem that I as a player want to be fixed. If I had the knowhow in lua scripting I'd do it myself.

I'm not demanding developers to quit real life just to satisfy my needs but to rather include this to their to-do list of server improvements.

If you took the last sentence too close to your hearths, I'm sorry (as if an apology on gaming community forum means anything). Upsetting anyone was the last of my intentions.

I've addressed a problem that I as a player want to be fixed. If I had the knowhow in lua scripting I'd do it myself.

If you had actually read my reply, you would've seen that this "problem" you notice has nothing to do with Lua. This is a feature of MTA itself, and MTA is written in C++.

But besides that, what do you actually think is wrong with it? All you've said is that it's a "shitshow". That is in no way a good way to describe an issue you're facing with something. This is the first time I've heard of anyone having complaints specifically regarding bullet sync.

but to rather include this to their to-do list of server improvements.

That's not at all what you said in your post. What you said is

That does not at all sound like a request to put something on a to-do list.

As far as I am aware, doesn't the C bug happens when you spam it? If so, can't there be a time limit embedded on the command, just like the anti- spam feature in the Local chat and also when sending money to somebody too fast (I hate you for doing that Scorpyo)?

I believe implementing something like that would prevent me from missing a laggy latino or a sweaty turk.

@Homeless said in Do something with hitreg / fix bullet sync:

As far as I am aware, doesn't the C bug happens when you spam it? If so, can't there be a time limit embedded on the command, just like the anti- spam feature in the Local chat and also when sending money to somebody too fast (I hate you for doing that Scorpyo)?

I believe implementing something like that would prevent me from missing a laggy latino or a sweaty turk.

The amount of times you press C is unrelated.