Custom SAES Discord Bot

Pegasus

Question

I'm a python developer IRL and I've worked on several libraries and frameworks. I've recently been introduced to the discord library and it's been fun trying out new things. While experimenting, I got an idea about being able to fetch information from the SAES website and allowing a bot to post it on discord.

As we all know that discord is undoubtedly used more frequently than forums or any other modes of communication and being able to receive forum updates, latest posts etc. from the website and seeing them automatically getting posted on discord will be pretty convenient for everyone here. Also, being able to use custom commands allowing you to fetch data about gang/squads such as their information etc. could be extra functionalities.

I was playing around and was able to code the discord bot to send the 3 most recent news posted on the SAES homepage to the discord server and it looks something like this:

alt text

Won't be a big addition to the community, probably will just ease out things, but what's the harm?

2 answers to this question

I'm not a fan of python myself, but thanks for the interest.

We do have a bot or two floating about (one of which handles the PayPal callback to automate the forum posting and telling discord of donations in the #donations channel) but I have written them with NodeJS.

I think something like this could be used in the future, but linking it to our forums event handler system, so you don't need to keep 'watching' the forums waiting for updates (if you wanted it to be automated).

@Brophy said in Custom SAES Discord Bot:

I'm not a fan of python myself, but thanks for the interest.

We do have a bot or two floating about (one of which handles the PayPal callback to automate the forum posting and telling discord of donations in the #donations channel) but I have written them with NodeJS.

I think something like this could be used in the future, but linking it to our forums event handler system, so you don't need to keep 'watching' the forums waiting for updates (if you wanted it to be automated).

Oh I didn't know that you already had a bot. I'm not really familiar with NodeJS, however I do know that it's going to be a complicated pain in the ass to attach the forums' event handler system to any python code because discord.py is relatively inefficient compared to the discord.js module. The way I use it is fetching HTTP responses form the web-pages and using regular expressions to fetch useful information, repeating this process every 30 minutes. Thanks for responding though, cheers!