[HANDLING] Motorcycle engine upgrades

Dawis67

Question

Hey. This has been on my mind for a while. Cars have engine/performance upgrades. Why not bikes? Not only most bikes are slower than most widely used cars, but they also cant be upgraded. Not everybody is gonna wanna drive bikes, but for people like me who actually like driving them, it would be a welcome addition, and perhaps promote usage of these agile vehicles.

Also doesn't seem to be difficult to implement it coding-wise :/

Anyways let me know what you think :)
If you vote NO, let me know why.

7 answers to this question

A subtle buff might work, but given their agile build it may poorly affect the server's vehicle balance. With a smaller hitbox, being hard to stop if rider has high Ping and Up-Arrow trick already being there I'm not sure how much of a buff we can give them.

I'll leave this suggestion up for consideration!

@tut-greco Agile but dangerous. You can easily get knocked off your bike and takes long time to get back on especially on high speed. Also control on high speed is decreased.

In police chases all they have to do is shoot the back tire and you are fucked. You lose most control and especially with strong bike, its all over.

The up-arrow trick is also used mostly for straight road boosts. You cant turn with. IDK if its built into the game and cant be removed, but if it can I would surely trade it for engine upgrade as its mostly a cool trick.

All in all, I dont think giving a decent boost would ruin the balance. I think it would normalize it.
Also, perhaps smaller boost for already fast bikes like NRG and a bigger boost for slower bikes

@dawis67 said in Motorcycle engine upgrades:

The up-arrow trick is also used mostly for straight road boosts. You cant turn with. IDK if its built into the game and cant be removed, but if it can I would surely trade it for engine upgrade as its mostly a cool trick.

That doesn't seem like a bad idea

Edit: not sure if I misunderstood, but what I'd think is cool is being able to use the arrow trick while turning. That way hopefully there should be no need for engine upgrades.

It would also even out the ground between driving a bike alone vs driving with a passenger, where you can only speed boost by doing a near 90 degree wheelie, which is quite risky and takes some skill.

It is also possible (and quite common) to use macros. I never really cared enough to make one just for bikes, and even without one, I could reach insanely high speeds with the right conditions (a long, straight road, like the highway in lv). I'm talking about speeds no other vehicles can reach. So if macros are something you don't want to be used on SAES, then that's another reason to remove the boost and change the handlings or add upgrades.

Doing that might make bikes actually viable in races, because as it stands, any sports car can outrun an NRG with ease.
Although I'm still not sure if I want to see the speed boost gone, since it's something I'm used to rely on when stunting. Removing that would also lower the skill cap of using bikes.

So what I suggest is reducing the effect that up arrow spam has without removing it. Rather than make it unusable, set a hard limit on how fast each bike can go, and (if possible), reduce the effect on acceleration that the spam has, while also adjusting the handlings a bit to make bikes more competitive when taking turns.

Disabling steer up and steer down completely would kill all stunting possibilities though, as well as lower mid air control. I don't know if it's possible to remove the speed boost of steer up / down without disabling it completely, but if it isn't, then I think it would take too much functionality out of bikes to make them worth using.