Information about ESO
Posts made by ESO
Lounge is looking for CEO. ESO replied in General Chat & Information
you think @zaza 's app is op?
Ability to read and understand financial charts
Above average writing and speaking skills in English
Understanding of concepts of Business, Consumer Behavior and Investments.
A promising networking potential and activity in the server.
Microphone access is a plus.
being a sexi camel
(not applying for real tho, good luck everyone)
Black~Bullets ESO replied in Black Bullets
(the HQ who dealt with this application forgot to post your result here camel. announcing it for future uses)
being an "experienced player" you should know that B~B's highest value is loyalty. we'v denied expert players for not being loyal enough to our cause and we'v given chances to fresh ones as truly wanted us for us.
you applied for us twice before and withdrew your applications in both, your explanation of "your friends telling you to apply for their gangs" is actually against you as it proves you wouldn't be loyal to the gang itself. you even applied to one of our allies and when denied instead of trying again you decided to try here.
not to speak of other aspects of your personality as your reputation and history says it all, you left all your previous organizations due to problems (in different sorts and ways, still had problems with someone) and i find it hard to believe you'v been the victim in 4 different scenarios (the 5th being a ban).
i guess by now you'd understand how slim your chances are of being one of us despite any experience/skills you might have. as i always say: skills can be taught but loyalty can not. in my opinion you need to get your thoughts together and decide once and for all where you want to go and settle
application is DENIED, you can reapply if still interested in 1 month from today with enough efforts during that time to show us how true the voices that tells you "here is your place" are. if that's not your plan then i suggest you don't bother reapplying to us ever again
Helvete ESO replied in Groups
last week me and @Bartman were talking about 2011 memories remembering Helvetes and the wars B~B had with them back in LS and all that, now you're here XD
welcome back Shag and good luck. such a blast seeing Helvete once again and hopefully this generation will be as good as the old one
[SUGGESTION] DE vs CLO Turf Zone ESO replied in Server Script Suggestions & Bug Reporting
the idea isn't necessarily "copied" from somewhere else since we did have "red VS blue" script on the server years ago and before that we had a dedicated active RvB server and this suggestion is close to that same concept. i guess if the old scripts are still available this is probably easy to make? (scripters can answer that)
oh and i think 10K is too much per kill since you're hoping for large numbers and everyone will be respawning, 1K is more than enough
SAES:RPG Rules & Regulations [Translated] ESO replied in Server Rules
Topic updated !
we currently have the server rules in 18 different language :
- English &
- Arabic (العربية) =
- French (Français)
- Spanish (Español)
- Portuguese & Brazilian (Português & Brasileiro) &
- Russian (Русские)
- German (Deutsch)
- Netherlands (Nederlands)
- Turkish (Türkçe)
- Danish (Dansk)
- Croatian (Hrvatski Jezik)
- Estonian (Eesti Keel)
- Serbian (Српски језик)
- Bulgarian (български)
- Swedish (Svenska)
- Czech (čeština)
if you want to add a translation of the rules in your own language (whatever it was) or found any mistakes in the versions above please contact me directly (on discord or via a forums message) to sort it out
Ingame Reports [Explained] ESO replied in General Chat & Information
ingame reports has been around for a long while helping to keep everything running as it should. but since we get a lot of arguments (when punishing a player) about how reports are handled, let me try to answer some of the most asked questions and try to explain how the report system work for us so everyone to get an idea
How can an admin be so sure about the case? / can i see the report?
When a player sends a report, a copy of the recent death log, chat log, and damage log is attached to it, a screenshot too if the player chooses to send one. those are not posted via link (like imgur) it's inside our reports panel and attached to the report itself, in order to view it you have to be an admin/staff yourself to have access to it.
#note: reporters can (and are encouraged to) take their own screenshots/recordings for the rulebreak reported and send links of them in the report itself. it can come in handy in various situations#
An admin/staff punished me and i want to see the report/evidences myself!
After the report is dealt with by an admin/staff it gets removed and once that happen it's can't be retrieved again hence we can't really show you evidences unless we screenshot it all from our report panel and then send it to you which in 95% of the cases is not necessary at all and in the other 5% it's when we want to ask about something particular in the case or if it helps the case somehow in our opinion. we are not obliged by any means to show the evidences to the reported player or anyone else, only admins/staff can see them and it's totally up to us to show them to others if seen necessary. in fact -and by server rules- an admin's word is final so you cant argue him about the evidence, and only if you suspect he's abusing you can report him to an HQ.
Shouldn't the admin/staff talk to the reported player first before punishing?
We deal with hundreds of reports every single day, some reports require speaking to both sides, some reports require extra investigation and could take days to sort, but in many cases the chat logs/damage logs/kill logs/screenshot attached are just too obvious and proves without a doubt the player has rulebreaked beyond any discussions. there are other factors that can also make a difference in dealing with reports like if the player has previous history of punishments for the same rulebreak or if he was warned about it before, if the rulebreak was intentional or not, and how far that rulebreak affected other players gaming experience in a negative way. the admin handling the report evaluates all the factors surrounding the case with all the evidences at hand to take the best decision from his point of view.
But what if the admin's point of view is wrong? this is not fair!
if you think the admin took the wrong decision you can discuss it with him maturely if you have any evidences of any kind regarding the case. punishments can be removed if proven to be wrong. but if you dont have those or if the admin is not convinced or have stronger evidences against you then it's over.
admins/staff were chosen as they're trusted enough to handle the duties of moderating the server, there is no reason for them to lie and say there is an evidence against you when there isn't and that's why an admin's word is final, but, in any case you thought an admin is passing his limits, abusing his powers, or intentionally interfering in the reports in an unfair way (either by removing valid reports or punishing for invalid ones) you can always take it to an SAES HQ team member with all the evidences or concerns that led you to think that way. and if the admin in question here is an HQ himself you can still take it to Brophy as the HQ manager. SAES has always been known to take reports about the clan members seriously and deal with them fairly and there are many examples of how valid reports/complains ended up removing previous clan members.
#note: keep rule n.12 regarding false reports in mind before reporting a staff/admin#
Adminjailed By @Kenny ESO replied in Rulebreaker Report Archive
i'm not part of this but since we get this argument a lot, let me try to explain how the report system work for us so everyone to get an idea
when a player sends a report a copy of the death log, chat log, and damage log is attached alongside the screenshot he sends (if he sent one). those are not posted via link (like imgur) it's inside our reports panel and attached to the report itself, in order to view it you have to be an admin/staff yourself to have access to it. after the report is dealt with by an admin/staff it gets removed and once that happen it's can't be retrieved again (as far as i'm aware) hence we can't really show you evidences unless we screenshot it all from our report panel and then send it which in 95% of the cases is not necessary at all, and in the other 5% it's when we want to ask about something crucial in the case in our opinion or if it helps the case somehow. let me remind you that we are not obliged by any means to show the evidences to the reported player, it's totally up to us when seen necessary. in fact -and by server rules- an admin's word is final so only if you suspect he's taking it personal or abusing it you can report him to an HQ.
We deal with hundreds of reports every single day, some reports require speaking to both sides, some reports require extra investigation, but in many cases the chat logs/damage logs/screenshot attached are just too obvious and proves without a doubt the player has rulebreaked beyond any "talks" (specially if the player has previous history of punishments).
again i dont know much about your case or what was the reasons for your adminjail nor i'm a part of it. and i'm sure if you had a reasonable discussion with kenny you'd reach somewhere if you truly are innocent . i just wanted to clear those points above for you (and any others who read this post) for similar situations in the future